Sunday 26 June 2005

A Newton St Loe Rebus

This post is to bracket the ones showing work from my sketchbook on "A Newton St Loe Rebus". This is going to be a new book in the Whistling Copse series. I'm going to be working on material towards it regularly and posting the results here.



As you can see, I've been working in a fairly tight way on drawn material and just assembling a whole batch of thumbnails on the probable sorts of content I'll be including. After that I started thinking about the way I was going to construct the thing beyond its simply being a random, meaningless rebus matrix for what happened at Whistling Copse. I still intend to keep part of this approach, but I think I want to impose some leading constructions on the material. So as well as compartmentalising things into the seasons, I want to put in headings like "food on the table" and "traps", some of which will be illustrated fairly simply and some of which will start to pull together a cryptic retelling of the story, with objects and events- most obviously, the presence of a dead body- colluding to emplot the rebus materials in a more sinister light.



Later on, I've been reconsidering the ways in which i will represent all this, and working out the style of the book. I still haven't made my mind up about this. I think it's something that will be dictated more by working on the ideas.



No comments:

Post a Comment