Friday 11 February 2005

Guerrilla Bookbinding

Link: Spike Island Printmakers: Courses. I'm all set to teach the above course tomorrow. All my photocopies ready, all my examples packed, all my papers and glues and treads and needles ready. Also today, my new printer, a Canon Pixma ip5000 arrived. I'm currently teaching it some new tricks, trying to get used to its way of doing things. I was very attracted to its ability to do duplex printing- a great boon if one is printing a book. One point which I was concerned about was the ability to match the centres of pages, so that a fold could fall on the page-dividing line of a folio. Worked just fine. Image quality is pretty good, so long as it's treated right. I must say on properly coated paper it works a treat, but on lower end, less sized/glossy paper, the inks perform quite poorly. Still, I understand that the inks are guaranteed lightfast for 75 years which is reasonably archival quality for something like a book, which isn't going to spend much time in the light. What I need to do now is source a good paper for double sided printing. I believe canon do one, but I'm not sure it'd be the most cost-effective solution. I think I'll give it a spin though. So far I'm happy with the results when i don't push the envelope too hard. Really shows up the limits of my camera and my photographic technique, though. I've promised myself a beer at the end of the day on Saturday at the tobacco factory. Maybe some of my class attendees will be there too. it's all getting a bit local round here. I'm looking forward to a couple of days work on my pictures for Ale & Porter's new show "Head and Shoulders". Just me and the sweet smell of sumi ink. Bliss.



No comments:

Post a Comment