Friday 25 February 2005

Tin Drum

Not actually an American classic, but the second thing that caught my eye at the Montclair book centre. (The first was "The Baron in the Trees" by Italo Calvino, but I often find Calvino's flattened, heraldic style faintly annoying in anything but the most abstract of moods). I rejected several possibilities with New York or Jersey themes as perhaps over informative and maybe a bit touristy in the circumstances. A bit of vanity, to think that I am not immediately apparent as a tourist- and why would I want to fit in- nonetheless, I am going to spend parts of the afternoon in postwar Germany and Montclair in the winter sunlight simultaneously. Both the Baron and the Drum invoke themes of otherness and commentary on the generality of the world, so perhaps my choice reflects my mood.



No comments:

Post a Comment