Tuesday 5 October 2004

notes for methodology assignment 1

I've already mentioned that I have my new assignments. (These are part of my orientation into fine art research methods, rather than full-scale research, and this part is really just about my introduction to the group)Assignment one reads:

prepare a ten minute online presentation of your practice in which you identify the key themes and interests evident in your current practice together with a summary of those practitioners you find to be of particular interest

my plan is to re-edit this post to use it as a staging-ground for my notes for the assignment.



Assignment two is about keeping a Studio Journal, which this weblog should prepare me for quite well. I'll need to have a good deal more visual material though.



Anyway...notes for Assignment one will follow...



Key themes and interests



Artists books, obviously: but this isn't an interest. it's a mode of practice.
History: interpretation and creation. Re framing cultural meaning.
Narrative. (a temporary structure)
Text and image
digital/print in fine art
temporary structure
conflation substitution: textual strategies
...but what visual interests?
Photographic
Landscape



Summary of practitioners
The embarrassing position of being
interested in countless things, but sufficiently knowledgeable about so
few of them. What do I enjoy, or identify with, then, regardless of how
well i know their work.



Peter Greenaway
Comics guy
Svankmajer
Photographers
Authors
Poets
Filmmakers/authors
Stephen Poliakoff- probably more than any visual artist currently
William Blake- kind of for the systemic qualities and historical position
Woman who did Teignmouth electron
Man who did the film in the Soane Museum



Curators/Institutional bods
Hell, Sir John Soane, why not?



More Notes 10.10.04



Thoughts on structure.



I've been harping on about several themes recently: temporary
structureand documentary/fiction being the most obvious. Both of these
attach to concerns about intention and reception in art, but from the
perspective of the artist, trying to refine or construct modes of
practice that facilitate interpretation on one hand, and allow the
artist some leverage on how the interpretation takes place on the other.



My current roster of artists include artists who illustrate facets
of the themes of temporary structure and doc/fic: I think it would be
an interesting way to structure my assignment by choosing exemplars,
showing some of their work, and then showing my own, to illustrate how
I've been pursuing the theme (...temp struc and doc/fic..) in my own
work. Thus the presentation will not be chronological, a series of
works, but will be based around the oragns of practice I'm trying to
develop as a "life-support system".



No comments:

Post a Comment